"The only good thing to do with good advice is pass it on; it is never of any use to oneself."— Oscar Wilde

Saturday 11 December 2010

A Christmas Carol, Hamlet (Toronto), Semi Formal

Christmas night 
Another fight 

Tears we cried, a flood 
Got all kinds of poison in 
Of poison in my blood 
I took my feet to Oxford Street 
Tried to right a wrong 
Just walk away, those windows say 
But I can't believe she's gone 

When you're still waiting for the snow to fall 
It doesn't really feel like Christmas at all 

Those Christmas lights
Light up the street
Down where the sea and city meet
May all your troubles soon be gone
Oh, Christmas lights, keep shining on

-Coldplay, Christmas Lights


Hi my dear followers and bloggers!
As mentioned in my last blog entry I've been very, very busy last week and I had barely time to do anything creative as making a blog entry. But now I definitely have the time, so here we go. Last week I had my final performances of  A Christmas Carol. Some of my friends came to watch, which really made me happy. I had never imagined getting to know so many nice and good friends here. Even though I did not have a big part, I did a lot of paint work for the set props, and I am just going to show you what I did. 
Some of the set. Nice paint work, eh?
From the left: Me, Megan, girl (?), Amanda, Deker after a good show  at 'Meet the Cast'
Just added this as a picture because I worked a lot on it. It took me some time I would say.
This thursday I went to see Hamlet, which is a Shakespeare-play, in Toronto. Before the show we went shopping a bit in the Eaton Mall, though I did not buy much. The play was brilliant, the actors were amazing and it really caught me by surprise. The play takes place in Denmark, and whenever they pronounced a danish name in English, it made my giggle. But it was very good; it had a sad ending though. On the way home it was -12 degrees celsius, and probably under 0 degrees celsius in the school bus, which was VERY cold. So I was shaking all the way home, and then when we made a stop, I was hungry because we were delayed. Then I bought some ice cream and strangely; BAM! I got warm again!
Even though it is freezing in- and outside the school bus you have to keep being happy as an exchange student, in of course, a Canada-hat. 
CN-Tower in the christmas mood
Friday was the day of my school's second dance of the school year, it is called Semi Formal. And with that they mean that you are not allowed to enter in casual clothes, but that you don't have to be as crazily dressed up as at Prom. I went with some of my cool friends and it was a really cool dance. Afterwards I went home to a friend's place and watched one of my favourite movies: The french movie called Le Faboulex destin d'Amélie Poulain. 


From the left: Madison, Lindsay, Kira, and me before the dance.
It is us again with full dresses on.
When you ask yourself why I put the lyrics from Coldplay's new christmas song on, it is simply because it is a nice way to express how I miss Denmark during this time period. Christmas in Canada is simply not the same as in Denmark. That is one of the reasons why I in my ISU (Independent Study Unit) -presentation in Foods made Ris ala Mande (danish rice pudding/christmas dessert.) It tasted pretty good and the presentation about danes and how they eat food went well, too. Nobody found the almond though. Here is a little picture of my 'Ris ala Mande.'


...But what I really wanted to tell is that December is a busy time. I am constantly on-the-go and barely have time to be creative with my drawings, talk to people in Denmark and so on. And I miss watching Danish christmas TV-shows. I feel so bad when thinking I won't be celebrating anything at Christmas Eve as we do in Denmark. And I miss the people in Denmark.
It is not that i do not like it here. I absolutely love it. But at this time of the year it is hard for me. To think I wont be with my own family, not dancing around the christmas tree and singing songs, making christmas decorations and danish christmas hearts with my class, writing german christmas cards to the people in Germany, baking with my mother, and so much more. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I watch the Danish TV-show! Absalons Hemmelighed ;D http://www.dr.dk/odp/player.aspx?mt=recentWeekTab&st=recentWeekTab_0
    It makes me so happy to watch it! Miss Denmark in the Christmas time too - it's hard to be away from family and all the wonderful Danish Christmas traditions! Hope you are well and having fun! I am! :)

    ReplyDelete