"The only good thing to do with good advice is pass it on; it is never of any use to oneself."— Oscar Wilde

Thursday 30 June 2011

Goodbye Party

This will be my last blog entry before I leave Canada, and the next and final one will be written once I get back. Yesterday I had invited many of my friends to a goodbye-party to make sure I get the proper "goodbye" to them. To make sure it wasn't a sad goodbye, I invited them for a soccer match. Not just any soccer match, no, it was the unofficial soccer match between Canada and Denmark. Yes, when everybody arrived at my house we went to the soccer field outside of Oil Springs and played a good old game of soccer. It was a close match, but Denmark with the team captain being me, won. No surprise there, I mean, you cannot really brag about Denmark's soccer skills, but Canada is even worse ! Haha. We decided to stay there after the match a little longer and play a bit of Ultimate Frisbee, and again, Denmark won. A huge thanks goes to Tom Lynch for being the reason behind the points, and Adam being the reason behind most of the goals in soccer! And then also to Andrew for being a worthy team captain-rival.
Team Denmark discussing tactics :p 
Canada - Denmark 4 : 5
Ultimate Frisbee 
After the match we went back to my house, and my friend Chris "the native" lighted the campfire - of course. We just sat around the campfire; Rachel brought her guitar and sang Danish song (Danish artists, English lyrics) and I joined in with many of the songs since I knew most of them. I got presents from some even though I hadn't asked for any, and we ate S'mores and Spider Dogs. (See picture below if you are not certain what that is!) A few people had to go after a little time, but that was a shame since a surprise that I didn't even know of was coming up. Anyway, it was such a good atmosphere and just a nice feeling being amongst the friends I've made the last 10 months. I really couldn't have asked for more than this...
Rachel singing and Marisa and Corinne laughing too much 
Maddie doing whatever. She took the camera and this happens! 
Lol. Too many Canada-presents 
Spider dog 
The awesome people: Lindsay, Jenn, Maddie 
Marisa, me, Corinne
Yes, so it eventually got dark in Oil Springs. I saw some of my friends sneaking a bit around in the garden, but couldn't quite see what they were doing when both my host parents and the friends sneaking around shouted: "Hey guys, come over here!" They had lighted up a Candle, and many more were to come. The plan was to send them up in the air in the dark so that they would shine like starts until they eventually burned out up there. It was truly very, very magical moment and a very, very awesome thing to do. (If you have seen the movie Tangled, they do the same thing...) It was really funny, we had a woman (actually Stephen's mum) coming and asking if she was hallucinating "fire in the air." Clearly, she wasn't. My host parents had arranged this, it came as a complete surprise, and I love them so much (not only for doing this..!)
Katie and Tom lighting one 
Me, Kira, Katie, Tom  putting one up 
And it's in the air!
It looks like a red moon in the air. So beautiful.
We had some cake and stuff after this and slowly more and more people left and I said goodbye. I wasn't crying, but I was really, really sad. But at the same time; I have this feeling I'm going to see most of them again. Some people decided to stay over for the night and sleep in tents, we woke up 3 hours and go and I just said goodbye to the last couple of people before I started writing on this blog post. It has been hard to say goodbye, but it was mostly a "See Ya!"

Today I gotta finish packing, meet up with another exchange student and go to Stratford which is about two hours away, and go to my end-of-the-year-orientation. Tomorrow we'll all be celebrating Canada Day together (us exchange students) and Saturday I'll go home. 

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say: “We have come now to the end”
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping
 -Annie Lennox-


No comments:

Post a Comment